SOMETIMES..ITS GOTTA BE DONE!
My brother asked me to give a small reminder at this Football tournament he organises. This is the Annual Salaam Cup, held at our local town of Crawley, Sussex. U.K. .
If I’m honest, deep down, I really didn’t want to do it for several reasons:
– I’m a da’wah trainer and not a natural speaker. This is definitely not the setting for me, out of my comfort zone.
– Never done this before. Raw standing in the open, to a hundred odd guys/ footballers and addressing them
– The crowd was mixed, Muslims and Non Muslims. So do I address the Muslim youth or the Non Muslims?! This creates unease within me.
– It’s going to rain heavily, we are all going to get wet! 🙁
– They don’t really want to listen to a 40 + year old unfit guy, they just want to get on with it surely.
– Too short notice, need more time to prepare
– It’s Crawley! This town is dead! Is there any point?! Will they actually listen!!
And so on..!!
So to counter this, what did I do? What would anyone do?
Turn to Allah swt. Make a small private Du’a, consult with him!
After doing this, I felt sakeenah, Alhumdulilah. Then positive thoughts and inspiration came to me. Now I was thinking along the lines:
- So what if they don’t listen, we merely convey
- Results are in the hands of Allah
- It’s not always about convincing them! It’s just conveying the message of Islam to the best of your ability!
- So what if the words are jumbled up, so what if a few phrases didn’t make sense, who cares if they understood every word
So these were positive affirmations for me and a great reminder that we just need to convey the message. We just need to say the word ALLAH, he is ONE, he needs to be worshipped, reminder of death and so on. It’s times like these when you think, if I skipped this or made some excuse not to do it, then what if….
What if this was the deed, the action…
That gets me into Jannah! And I didn’t do it!
The regret would have been eternally devastating.
Alhumdulilah, I went ahead with it. Spoke around 8 minutes & the feeling after calling people to Allah swt is immense! Yes I felt I could have improved it in so many ways.. but the biggest success for me is actually doing it! 😎
So the take home message, never skip an opportunity to engage in da’wah. The actions that are the most uncomfortable, the most awkward, the most strange to you and you simple ‘didn’t feel like it’ … are the ones that count the most!
This powerful ayah sums it up for me.
….We have told you about some messengers previously, while others We have not told you about. And Allah has spoken His word directly to Moses. (These) were messengers sent to bring good news and to give warning, so that men may have no *argument* against Allah once these messengers (had come). Allah is Almighty Wise”.
(Quran: An- Nisaa: 4:163-165)
For those who’d like to watch the video.